Thursday, June 29, 2006

Busy Week at Casa de la Caza

This week, I was challenged in several ways with two photoshoots that took me outside of my element.

The first was the photography of a dance production for a friend of mine, Jennifer Robichaud. Jen is the co-founder and artistic director of the Larchaud Dance Project. I'm afraid you've already missed the production I was shooting, which was showing for 3 days last week, but you can read about Jen and her company at www.larchaud.com.

This experience was different for me because not only was I not photographing kids; but I was photographing contemporary dance, which I know nothing about, and I was shooting in a very dark space with the help of one flash and theatre lighting.

My second challenge this week was a shoot for Today's Parent Toronto, the magazine within a magazine, created for torontonians. I never realized how creatively liberating my style of photography was until I lived within the guidelines of shooting for a magazine cover! I found trying to catch a child smiling into the camera naturally considerably difficult; especially when having to make sure that there were no flinging arms, nose-picking, hunched shoulders, funny faces, or fingers hiding faces.

I never realized how much I loved the quirky photographs I take of kids until I found myself sneaking some between "good" shots. I felt like a girl sneaking a bad pair of leggings on in a change room on TLC's "What Not to Wear"!

But! As challenging as these experiences were for me this week, they were rewarding; the photographs were fantastic, and I love them. I'm not able to share the Today's Parent Toronto shots until the November issue is published, but here are a few samples of the dance shots.

Josée