Thursday, March 27, 2008

The truth about newborn sessions

The truth about newborn sessions is that they are never quick and easy. It happens sometimes, but when it does it's pure luck because newborns are unpredictable little creatures that haven't yet settled into a schedule. In plain words, they're the boss. They nap and feed when they need to, and sometimes they're just plain unhappy until they fall asleep.

I had a session with Sabina a little while ago that went a little something like that; we got through it with a lot of breaks, a lot of feeding and a little napping. I don't mind these sessions one bit because I always plan to have a chunk of time to put towards them, and also because while waiting through all of this, I get to know the parents & family so much better. In the end, I feel more like I've truly represented them with my work. When I was going through the photos today, it made me realize that this kind of session is really fantastic at showcasing the warmth and affection that surrounds being the parents of a newborn. So much holding, and coddling, and cooing, and soothing... it just all feels so lovey and sweet. I just adore what I got from this session! Here's a few of my favorites...